Director of Engineer (Naval Architecture)
8800 Barney White Rd. Bremerton, WA 00000 | Direct Hire
LOCATION: Bremerton, WA
INDUSTRY: Naval Architecture
The Director of Engineering plans, organizes and directs engineering staff in all phases of assigned engineering design projects to meet company objectives for design, new product development and improvement of existing product lines related to high performance aluminum hulled boat design and manufacturing. Supervises engineers, designers, and draftsmen, and works closely with Business Development, Sales, and Operations to ensure successful technical and financial completion of assigned design projects.
- Establishes engineering policies, processes, and procedures to ensure design projects meet technical requirements, and cost and schedule objectives.
- Plans, organizes, develops and manages the engineering team to develop new products and provide engineering support to other departments.
- Identifies and manages new product initiatives to align with company strategic objectives and initiatives.
- Ensures that NPI projects are closely managed and reported on and actions are taken to keep them on track.
- Integrates innovative technical solutions to best satisfy market and customer requirements including features, performance, cost, manufacturability, quality, and time to market.
- Participates in development and implementation of long-term product road map for company product lines.
- Develops and manages strategic partner relationships to leverage expertise and foster co-development for new products and technologies.
- Manages process engineering to evaluate potential new processes for producing parts and sub-systems to improve cost, reliability & quality.
- Leads cross-functional design review process to ensure product and systems designs meet customer requirements, project budgets, and quality standards.
- Works with cross-functional teams to independently and effectively drive the delivery of high quality products from design concept to customer delivery and in-service operation.
- Establishes engineering department objectives and work plans including budgets and resource requirements.
- Delegates assignments to team members and tracks key project activities to successful completion.
- Assigns and monitors work of external engineering resources and technical consulting firms in support of related design and development projects.
- Supervises and contributes to process/quality improvement teams and/or initiatives. Identifies and recommends improvements to designs, practices or materials which lead to positive results in product quality.
- Leads research and development of new product and platform offerings and leads product enhancement initiatives related to existing product designs.
- Provides support to the business development team in preparation and delivery of proposals and quotes, including detailed designs, analyses, and drawings, as well as technical responses to customer inquiries.
- Manages the product change control and configuration management processes.
- Bachelor' s Degree in Engineering or a related discipline is required and a degree in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering is preferred; an advanced degree in Business Administration or Engineering Management is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of proven experience in engineering is required. A minimum of 5 years of increasing responsibility for project and people management, involving a broad range of operational technologies and processes is also required.
- Strong project management skills. Must be able to work independently as a sponsor and as a team leader on multiple projects.
- Experience in establishing and achieving short and long-range goals on an individual and team basis.
- Proven leadership skills including: Team building, collaborating, accountability, strategic and innovative thinking; a self-starter with a high energy level.
- Experience in the design and development of naval and/or marine platforms and systems.
- Experience utilizing Det Norske Veritas (DNV), American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC), Lloyd’ s Register and American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) standards in boat design and development. Experience with High Speed Aluminum vessels preferred.
- Experience developing and utilizing structural and other analytical tools to include but not limited to Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FMEA).
- Experience implementing design-to-cost and design-for-manufacturing techniques and improvement practices.
- Ability to evaluate, understand and interpret contracts and specifications.
- Ability to navigate and be successful operating in a dynamic smaller company environment.
- Strong technical ability and understanding of manufacturing systems, lean manufacturing principles, material flow systems.
Review our open positions to find the best match for your areas of expertise.
If you don't see a "direct hire" position or location you desire, may we suggest that you apply for a "contract" position? Find out why many Engineers prefer to be "contractors" rather than "direct hire" employees.
Engineers say... "They had great clients for me to choose from and made sure I was happy. I would recommend them to anyone..." Read more engineer and client quotes